Friday, January 8, 2010

My strong-willed child

Today I got a new book from the library. (The New) Strong-Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson.

Elijah has been acting out more and more lately, throwing fits, hitting, at times biting. That sounds terrible... He is mostly a good kid and fairly obedient, but he definitely has his moments. He is also trying to assert his independence by choosing to do some things he knows are not allowed, or telling us "no" when we give him direction.

Chris and I have decided that a crack-down is in order. We are not afraid of disciplining our child, in fact we are strong proponents of disciplining in any way necessary. Of course I do not beat my child, but I definitely spank. However, spanking does not seem to faze Elijah one bit. And time-outs are difficult to follow through with since he is so young. Since he is our first child, we get to do all the experimenting on him (that is until the next one comes along and is completely different...) :-)

I've heard a lot of good things about this book, I have no idea yet what advice Dr. Dobson has, but I am definitely looking forward to it. If Elijah is anything like his parents - he is very strong-willed.

No comments:

Post a Comment